Koray ALTUN, PhD
CURRENT STATUS AND MINI-BIO
Koray Altun is an Assistant Professor of Department of Industrial Engineering at Bursa Technical University (BTU), in Turkey. He is also a Research Collaborator at GLORAD Center for Global R&D and Innovation, a research organization with centers in China, the US, Latin America, and Europe. He received his BSc in Industrial Engineering from Erciyes University, in 2009. He earned his PhD degree in Industrial Engineering from Gaziantep University, in 2015. His research interests include: Technology & Innovation Management, R&D Management, Computer-Aided Innovation (CAI), Systematic Innovation, Multi-issue negotiation, Automated negotiation, Customer Co-creation (Co-design), and Collaborative NPD, Industry 4.0 / Digital Transformation, Manufacturing Execution Systems.
- PhD in Industrial Engineering, (2010 – 2015)
Gaziantep University, Gaziantep-Turkey
- BSc in Industrial Engineering, (2004 – 2009)
Erciyes University, Kayseri-Turkey
- Assistant professor: June 2015 – ongoing
Department of Industrial Engineering,
Bursa Technical University, Bursa-Turkey
- Senior researcher: February 2015 – December 2017
GLORAD – Center for Global R&D and Innovation
- Research assistant: November 2009 – June 2015
Department of Industrial Engineering,
Gaziantep University, Gaziantep-Turkey
- Research associate: May 2013 – February 2015
GLORAD – Center for Global R&D and Innovation,
Chinese-German School for Postgraduate Studies,
Tongji University, Shanghai, China.
- Altun, K., Computer-aided innovation for improving industrial innovation intelligence, Gaziantep University, Department of Industrial Engineering, January 23, 2015. (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Türkay Dereli)
International journals (SCI/SCI-E):
- Altun, K., von Zedtwitz, M., Dereli, T., Multi-issue negotiation in Quality Function Deployment: Modified Even-Swaps in new product development, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 92 31-49, 2016.
- Altun, K., Dereli, T., Even easier multi-issue negotiation through Modified Even-Swaps considering practically dominated alternatives, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 76 307-317, 2014.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Technology evaluation through the use interval type-2 fuzzy sets and systems, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 65 (4) 624-633, 2013.
- Altun, K., Dereli, T., Baykasoglu, A., Development of a framework for customer co-creation in NPD through multi-issue negotiation with issue trade-offs, Expert Systems with Applications, 40 (3) 873-880, 2013.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., A novel approach for assessment of candidate technologies with respect to their innovation potentials: Quick innovation intelligence process, Expert Systems with Applications, 40 (3) 881-891, 2013.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Modified Even-Swaps: A novel, clear, rational and easy-to-use mechanism for multiissue negotiation. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 63 (4) 1013-1029, 2012.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Gölec, A., Durmusoglu, A., Improvement of manufacturing productivity and responsiveness through integrated process planning and authorizing, Technical Gazette / Technicki Vjesnik, 19 (4) 871-884, 2012.
- Dereli, T., Baykasoglu, A., Altun, K., Durmusoglu, A., Türksen, I.B., Industrial applications of type-2 fuzzy sets and systems: A concise review, Computers in Industry, 62 (2) 125-137, 2011.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Imovator’s dilemma: How to decide when to be offensive and when to be defensive? Strategic Planning Decisions in the High Tech Industry (Editors: D. Cetindamar, T. Daim, N. Basoglu, B. Beyhan), Springer/Verlag, London, ISBN 978-1-4471-4886-9, 2013.
- Altun, K., Gölec, A., A comparative simulation study of production control systems, Journal of the Institute of Science and Technology of Erciyes University, 27(2), 200-2007, 2011. (in Turkish)
- Baykasoglu, A., Dereli, T., Altun, K., Used truck selection: A practical decision support approach through the use of Even-Swaps, Lojistik, 19, 18-22, 2011. (in Turkish)
- Altun, K., Ozcan Berber, R., Kurt, R., Managing multiple projects in R&D centers: A case study in the automotive industry, ISPR2017 - International Symposium for Production Research "Transition to Industry 4.0", September 13-15, TU-Wien, Vienna, Austria, 2017.
- Altuntas, S., Altun, K., Dereli, T., Assessing high-tech market success of government sponsored investment projects: A patent based quantitative approach, ICE2016 - The 7th International Congress on Entrepreneurship, May 12-15, Kyrgyz Turkish Manas University, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2016.
- Altuntas, S., Dereli, T., Altun, K., Menay, M., A bibliometric analysis of research related to fuzzy association rules, FUZZYSS'15 The 4th International Fuzzy Systems Symposium, November 05-06, Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2015.
- Altun, K., Dereli, T., Computer-Aided Innovation for improving industrial innovation intelligence, The 5th International Conference on Systematic Innovation, July 16-18, San Jose State University, San Jose (California), USA, 2014.
- Altun, K., Dereli, T., Hämäläinen, R.P., Use of Modified Even-Swaps in multi-issue negotiation with fuzzy issues, INFORMS - 2014 Advances in Decision Analysis Conference, June 16-18, Georgetown University, Washington DC, USA, 2014.
- Altun, K., Dereli, T., A practical dominance reinforcement to make the Modified Even-Swaps mechanism even easier, Proceedings of CIE43: The 43rd International Conference on Computers & Industrial Engineering, October 16-18, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2013.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Achieving manufacturing responsiveness by integrating “process planning” and “authorizing”, Proceedings of IMS 2012: 8th International Symposium on Intelligent and Manufacturing Systems, September 27-28, Antalya, Turkey, 2012.
- Altun, K., Dereli, T., Baykasoglu, A., Usage of Modified Even-Swaps in case of multi-bargainable-issue, Proceedings of FUZZYSS’11: 2nd International Fuzzy Systems Symposium, November 17-18, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 87-91, 2011.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Quick innovation intelligence process, Proceedings of FUZZYSS’11: 2nd International Fuzzy Systems Symposium, November 17-18, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 92-97, 2011.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Automated negotiation with issue trade-offs: Modified Even-Swaps for bargaining, Proceedings of ISCSE 2011: 2nd International Symposium on Computing Science and Engineering, June 1-4, Kusadası, Turkey, 600-606, 2011.
- Dereli, T., Durmusoglu, A., Altun, K., Bozyer, Z., Predicting the future of technology by using data fusion methodologies: Techpredict V1.0, Proceedings of IMS 2010: 7th International Symposium on Intelligent and Manufacturing Systems, September 15-17, Sarajevo, Bosnia Herzegovina, 215-223, 2010.
- Altun, K., Development of a novel multi-issue negotiation mechanism and its adaptation to new product development, YAEM 2014 PhD Students Colloquium, October 24-25, Middle East Technical University (METU), Ankara, Turkey, 2014.
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Innovation Intelligence, Proceedings of YAEM 2011: 31st National Meeting on Operational Research and Industrial Engineering, July 5-7, Sakarya University, Sakarya, Turkey, 2011. (in Turkish)
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., A research profiling study on Computer-Aided-Innovation (CAI), Proceedings of ÜAS’11: 11th National Symposium on Production Researches, June 23-24, Istanbul Commerce University, Istanbul, 224-233, 2011. (in Turkish)
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Durmusoglu, A., Integrated Process Planning and Authorizing, Proceedings of ÜAS’10: 10th National Symposium on Production Researches, September 16-18, Kyrenia American University, Kyrenia, TRNC, 2010. (in Turkish)
- Dereli, T., Altun, K., Durmusoglu, A., Computer Aided Innovation (CAI): A review, Proceedings of YAEM 2010: 30th National Meeting on Operational Research and Industrial Engineering, June 30 – July 2, Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2010. (Invited Talk) (in Turkish)
- Dereli, T., Durmusoglu, A., Altun, K., Integrating technology management processes, Proceedings of YAEM 2010: 30th National Meeting on Operational Research and Industrial Engineering, June 30 – July 2, Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2010. (in Turkish)
- 2013 – to date, GLORAD – Research Center for Global R&D Management
- 2010 – to date, TIRG – Technology Intelligence Research Group
- 2010 – to date, FUZZY SYSTEMS ASSOCIATION
- 2013 – to date, IAENG – International Association of Engineers
- 2011 – to date, UAD – National association of production researches
- 2012 – 2016, INFORMS – Technology Management Section
- 2015 – 2016, INFORMS – Decision Analysis Society
Referee (more than 300 times):
- Journal of Product Innovation Management
- Computers & Industrial Engineering
- Computers in Industry
- European Journal of Operational Research
- European Journal of Industrial Engineering
- International Journal of Production Research
- Journal of the Operational Research Society
- Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems
- Project Management Journal
- International Journal of Systematic Innovation
- International Journal of Hospitality Management
- International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing
- Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
- IEEE Access
- Engineering Review
- Turkish Journal of Fuzzy Systems
- Journal of The Faculty of Engineering and Architecture of Gazi University
- Turkish Journal of Agriculture & Forestry
- International Journal of E-Business Development
- American Journal of Computation, Communication and Control
- American Journal of Computer Science and Information Engineering
- International Journal of Management Science
- Scientia Iranica
- AOM 2014 – Academy of Management Annual Meeting
- AOM 2015 – Academy of Management Annual Meeting
- AOM 2016 – Academy of Management Annual Meeting
Organizing committee member:
- 18th National Ergonomics Congress, Gaziantep – Turkey, 2012.
Technical program committee member:
- ICINDE’17 – The IAENG International Conference on Industrial Engineering, Hong Kong, March 15-17, 2017
- SEIT2015 – 2015 International Conference on Software Engineering and Information Technology, Guilin, Guangxi, China, June 26-28, 2015.
- IE303 - Systematic Innovation
- IE301 - Operations Research I
- IE101 - Introduction to Industrial Engineering
- END405 - Teknoloji ve İnovasyon Yönetimi (Technology and Innovation Management)
- END408 - Sistem Simülasyonu (System Simulation)
- END101 - Endüstri Mühendisliğine Giriş (Introduction to Industrial Engineering)
- END302 - Yönetim Bilgi Sistemleri (Management Information Systems)
- END303 - Sistematik İnovasyon (Systematic Innovation)
- END305 - Endüstriyel Tasarım ve İnsan Faktörleri (Industrial Design and Human Factor)
- END402 - İş Etüdü (Work Study)
- END307 - Tesis Tasarım ve Planlama (Facility Design and Planning)
- END309 - Üretim ve Operasyon Yönetimi (Production and Operation Management)
- END404 - Proje Yönetimi ve Şebeke Analizi (Project Management and Network Analysis)
- END413 - Network Akışları ve Tamsayılı Programlama (Network Flows and Integer Programming)
- END301 - Yöneylem Araştırması I (Operations Research I)
- INS210 - Mühendislik Ekonomisi (Engineering Economics)
- SOS911 - Proje Yönetimi (Project Management)
- MAT294 - Olasılık ve İstatistik (Probability and Statistics)
- ASM506 - Sistem Simülasyonu ve Modellemesi (System Simulation and Modeling)
- UPE537 - Küresel İnovasyon Yönetimi (Global Innovation Management)
- FBE500 / ISL510 - Proje Yönetimi (Project Management)
- UPE514 - Küreselleşme ve Yönetişim (Globalisation and Governance)
- FBE502 - Mühendislikte Olasılık ve İstatistik (Probability and Statistics in Engineering)
AWARDS & HONORS
- Outstanding Reviewer Award – by “Computers & Industrial Engineering” (Elsevier) - 2015, 2017
- Author of one of the most cited articles published in “Computers in Industry” since 2009
- BAPYB – (Scientific Research Projects Governing Unit of Gaziantep University) – International research fellowship – 2014 (for 5 months to USA)
- TUBITAK – BIDEB 2214 – International research fellowship – 2013 (for 5 months to PR China)
- TUBITAK – International publication encouragement awards – 2011, 2012, 2013 (3 times), 2014, 2016
- TUBITAK – Support for attending an international conference – 2011
- TUBITAK – Support for attending an international doctoral summer school – 2011
- Erciyes University – Ranked 1st in the graduates list of Department of Industrial Engineering – 2009
- Listed in Marquis Who’s Who in the World – 2014